Are you planning to grow weeds or other plants indoors? If yes, then providing them with the right light is essential for their healthy growth.
The easiest way to provide your indoor plants with adequate light is by using grow lights. Grow lights simulate the sun and help indoor plants to grow strong and healthy.
Grow lights have a significantly less power draw especially compared to other types of lights such as incandescent or fluorescent lights. So, if you are looking for an energy-efficient way to boost the growth of your plants indoors, using grow lights is a great option.
Continue reading for more insight.
How Much Electricity Does a Grow Light Use?
Many grow light use about 100 watts of electricity. However, this can vary depending on the type of light and the amount of time used. For example, high-intensity discharge (HID) lights can use up to 1000 watts of power.
While grow lights use a fair amount of electricity, there are ways to reduce this cost. One way is to use energy-efficient light bulbs, such as LEDs. These bulbs use less electricity than traditional incandescent bulbs and last much longer.
Another way to reduce the cost of growing with a powerful led grow light is to use timers. This way, you can control how long the lights are on and off, which can help save on your electricity bill.
Overall, plant lights can be a great way to boost your indoor plant growth. However, it is essential to be aware of the electricity costs associated with these lights. You can reduce your electricity consumption by reducing the number of hours the lights are on.
How to Save Money on Electricity in Your Indoor Grow Room
Even though grow lights have lower heat output, there are still some ways you can save on electricity when using them. Here are a few tips:
Use a Timer
Using a timer will help you control how long your grow lights are on, which can help you save on electricity.
Choose The Correct Type of Grow Light
As mentioned earlier, LED grow lights are the most energy-efficient types. So, if you are looking to save on electricity, choose LEDs over other types of grow lights.
Don't Leave Your Grow Lights On 24/7
One of the biggest mistakes people make is leaving their grow lights on 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Your plants do not need to be under grow lights for that long as too much light may affect their growth and photosynthesis. They need a dark period to thrive. So, make sure you give your plants a dark period (at least 6 hours) every day.
Adjust Your Grow Lights as Your Plants Grow
As your plants grow, they will need less light. So, make sure you adjust your grow lights according to your cannabis plants' needs. The reduction of light will have a huge impact and save on your electricity bill.
For example, if you use HPS lights, you can start by keeping them 18-24 inches away from your plants.
Use Reflective Materials
Using reflective materials can help you increase the amount of light reaching your plants. Therefore, the lighter your plants get, the less time they will need to be under grow lights.
Some common reflective materials you can use include:
- White paint
- Reflective fabric
What Are the Types of Grow Lights Available?
There are many types of grow lights on the market, but the most prevalent are LEDs, HPS, and MH lights.
Powerful LED grows lights are the most energy-efficient type of grow light, and they also last longer than other types of lights. They are available in various colors, including full-spectrum light (provides light at all wavelengths), blue light (emphasizes vegetative growth), and red light (emphasizes flowering).
HPS lights are commonly used for flowering and fruiting plants because they produce more red light. They are not as energy-efficient as LEDs, but they are still more efficient than other lights, such as incandescent or fluorescent lights.
MH lights are commonly used for vegetative growth because they produce more blue light. They are not as energy-efficient as LED lights, but they are still more efficient than other lights, such as incandescent or fluorescent lights.
How To Choose a Suitable Grow Light for Your Plants
When choosing a grow light for your cannabis plants, there are a few things you need to consider:
- The type of plants you are growing -If you are growing vegetables, you will need a different kind of light than if you are growing flowers. Vegetables need more blue light while flowers need more red light.
- The size of your grow area - The size of your grow area will determine how many grow lights you need and how far away from the plants they need to be.
- Your budget - Grow lights can range from $20 to $500. So, you need to figure out how much you are willing to spend on grow lights.
- The amount of time you have - If you only have a few hours a day to grow your plants, you will need a light that doesn't require much time to set up and takedown. LEDs are the best option for people with limited time as they don't require any time to cool down like HPS or MH lights.
- Your goals - What are your plans for growing your plants? Are you looking to produce fruits and vegetables, or are you just looking to grow some flowers? Knowing your goals will help you to choose the right type of light.
Benefits Of Using Grow Lights
There are many benefits of using grow lights, significantly if you are growing plants indoors. Some of the benefits include:
- Grow lights help any plant or plant-based product to develop at an accelerated rate.
- Grow lights do not use a lot of electricity, especially compared to other lights such as incandescent or fluorescent lights.
- LEDs (light-emitting diodes) are the most energy-efficient type of grow light, and they also last longer and produce more light.
There are a few disadvantages of using grow lights, such as:
- They can be expensive - The initial cost of grow lights can be pretty high, especially if you choose LEDs. But, they will last much longer than other types of grow lights, so you will eventually save money in the long run.
- They can generate heat - Grow lights can create a lot of heat, which can be a problem in small spaces. But, there are ways to mitigate this problem. One method is using fans or keeping the lights further away from your plants.
LED Grow Lights – The Myth About Watts
You may have heard that you need to use a certain number of watts per square foot when growing with LED lights. The myth about watts probably started because people compared LEDs to other types of grow lights, such as HPS or MH lights.
HPS or MH lights are very inefficient and use a lot of electricity, so they get measured in watts. However, with LEDs, you do not need to worry about how many watts per square foot you are using because they are so much more efficient.
To sum it up, grow lights do not use a lot of electricity, especially compared to other types of lights. If you are looking for an energy-efficient way to grow your plants indoors, using grow lights is your best option.
What is the Best Type of Grow Light?
The best type of grow light for your needs will depend on a few factors, such as the type of plants you are growing and your space. But in general, LEDs are the most popular type of grow light because they are energy-efficient and long-lasting.
However, experts recommend the use of green light.
Will Grow Lights Affect My Electricity Costs?
Grow lights will not have a significant impact on your electricity bill. They are one of the most energy-efficient ways to grow plants indoors.
How Much Electricity Does Lead Grow Light Use?
LED grow lights are a particularly energy-efficient solution because they require very little electricity. The anticipated electricity output is 0.68 kilowatts (KW) per hour. They use half the amount of energy that HPS lights do. LED grow lights are an excellent alternative if you want to save money on your electricity bill.
How Many Hours A Day Should I Leave My Grow Lights On?
You should run LED grow lights for 12-14 hours a day. However, this will vary depending on the light intensity, type of plants you are growing, and their growth stage. So, make sure to do some research on the specific needs of your plants.
Making the Use of Grow Lights Economical
Grow lights are a great way to grow plants indoors. They are also very energy-efficient with their energy consumption so that they won't have a significant impact on your electricity bill. However, you can do a few things to save even more on electricity, such as using a timer and choosing the right type of grow light.
You can save money and grow healthy plants simultaneously by following these tips.