The quantum board LED is the latest advancement in the LED grow light technology. In fact, as these new lights hit the market, we are seeing some fantastic quantum board led review feedback from users that suggests this might be the next level of LED available.
Let’s take a look at what makes a quantum board special and why it might be the next big thing for your horticultural indoor farming.
What is a Quantum Board LED?
A quantum board LED is a newer alternative to the more expensive COB grow lights. The quantum board is a large circuit board in which a string of LEDs are connected forming “intelligent spectrum string” resulting in a broader spectrum and bigger plants. True full spectrum is the result.
Quantum Board LED Review
We took a look at top quantum boards that have great reviews. Growers love the fact that these boards require no fans as they run natively cool and the quantum board’s ability to produce a “sunlike” spectrum.
Below is our list of the best quantum boards of 2020 that we will also detail further on in the article.
- Spider Farmer SF 1000 – Best True Full-Spectrum LED Grow Light
- Spider Farmer SF 4000 – Most Powerful Quantum Board LED Grow Light
- HLG 550 V2 R Spec Quantum Board LED – Best Overall Quantum Board LED
Last update on 2020-01-27 at 16:50 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Spider Farmer SF 1000
From the name Spider Farmer to the components, I have fallen in love with this quantum board LED. Aptly named, as it looks very much like a hanging spider in your grow tent, the Spider Farmer SF 1000 is well thought out and a thoroughly tested light.
From the deep red diodes to its near-perfect white light, the lamp efficacy is never in doubt with producing high-quality light that your plants will love.
Benefits of the Spider Farmer SF 1000
- Affordability – Very high light output for an LED. 40% increases in yields compared to a standard LED grow light.
- Energy Efficient – Consumes 100w compared to a 1000w Blurple LED
- Coverage – Veg at 3×3 feet and flower at 2×2. Designed for smaller indoor growing.
- Quiet – No cooling fans making noise. Instead, this quantum board LED uses a flush aluminum heat sink.
- Water-resistant – Board is waterproof and reduces fire hazards typically seen in high wattage HPS lights for growing.
- Long lifespans at 50,000 hours – Double the lifespan of some traditional LED grow lights.
- True Sunlight Spectrum – Blue, White, Red, and IR (660-665nm, 3000K, 5000K and IR 760nm) which is about perfect for indoor gardening.
- 3 Year Warranty – Solid construction.
- 30 day money-back guarantee
Overall the Spider Farmer SF 1000 is a great entry-level LED lamp that is worth trying out if you are into the latest and greatest. A perfect quantum LED for small indoor grows of 1 to 3 plants.
Because this light has a lower price point, albeit not as powerful as the others on the list, it is a good light to try out with this newer technology.
It is fully capable of competing with older 1000 watt LED grow lights at 40% ore yield because of its well-integrated onboard driver that controls the spectrum bands. The board itself uses Samsung lm301b diodes that bring you the well balanced sun-like spectrum your plants crave.
This quantum board is also easy to use in the sense that all you really have to do is plug the power cord in to start growing. If the light is too strong it can also be dimmable for different stages of growth. You will need a screwdriver in order to dim the light but this is not a huge issue as it is straight forward.
Spider Farmer SF 4000
An upgrade from the SF 1000, the Spider Farmer SF 4000 brings more power for growing more plants at one time.
This quantum board LED will increase your core growig coverage area by almost double to the SF 1000 version. At a core 6 x 6 foot area you can grow 3 – 4 plants pretty comfortably at a time.
Benefits of The Spider Farmer SF 4000
- Cost Efficient – Consumes 456 watt as a 4000w alternative
- Core Coverage – Veg at 6 x 6 ft, Flowering at 5 x 5 ft.
- Deep Penetration – SAMSUNG LM301B Diodes which are high quality and deliver a 50% higher yields with less energy, compared to red-blue LED grow lights.
- Well-Designed – Fanless grow light means no fan chatter. The light uses solid aluminum heat sinks
- Great Spectrum as expected – Blue, White, Red, and IR (660-665nm,3000K,5000K and IR 760nm)
Our Spider Farmer SF 4000 review was similar to that of the SF 1000, however, the difference between the 2 is the extra power you get from the SF 4000. It is capable of growing more plants quicker because of its high light output and coverage area.
If you like to grow multiple plants at one time we would recommend this light as it has some of the highest light output known for indoor growing.
HLG 550 V2 R Spec Quantum Board LED
The HLG 550 V2 R Spec is made by a very reputable grow light manufacturer, The Horticultural Light Group is an upcoming creator of quality quantum boards for indoor gardening.
The HLG 550 is a complete V2 quantum board led kit that the company also sells for the DIY home grower who loves to tinker. They sell a variety of quantum board kits so you can customize your lights such as the HLG-600h Quantum Board LED kit V2.
The V2 models are the second version of these boards with better drivers for light control. Unlike the HLG 600h, the HLG 550 comes ready to grow. All you have to do is plug it in.
The HLG 550 V2 uses 4 quantum board panels in unison to produce its beautiful light spectrum. The unti is also fanless, as to be expected with quantum boards and relies on its solid heat sinks to keep tempertures low.
Benefits of the HLG 550 V2 Quantum Board
- Uses 480W of power draw
- Dimmable to 200 watts
- Replaces a 1000W SE HID
- Flower Coverage: 4′ x 4′ to 4.5′ x 4.5′, Veg Coverage: 6′ x 6′
- PPF – 1257 umol/s
- PAR efficacy – 2.6 umol/j
- Reliable fanless passive-cooled design & ETL certified
- 3-Year Warranty
Although this light is on the pricey side of things it is worth every penny. Not only will it last years longer than an HPS bulb it yields a much higher crop because of its integrated smart technology drivers that produce a near sun-like full spectrum.
We replaced 2 600 watt HPS bulbs and are still seeing better growth and quality in our grow tent. The SF 4000 is a serious light for growers who know what they are doing.
Quantum Board LED DIY Kits
There are many kits available through companies like HLG who provide kits so you can customize these lights for use in original grow room designs.
Because the boards have zero moving parts and are solid we have seen many build aluminum frames to support these boards above plant canopies. There are many cool designs out there and the only limitation is you imagination.
As you can see from the video above, quantum board kit setups can turn out to be a huge benefit for growers. With varying tent sizes and grow room dimensions, being able to create a frame that works with your particular grow room setup has big advantages for home growers.
If you are interested in building your own quantum Board LED, here are a few great choices…
- Horticulture Lighting Group 4X QB132 V2 Quantum Board
Quantum LED Boards are here to stay and will surpass the more traditional LED grow lights we have seen. As this technology grows the price will fall as they become more mainstream for indoor growers.
Quantum boards produce much better light, ideal for growing plants such as cannabis. As a result, we are excited to see what becomes of this growing technology.